Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Cincinnati ,OH

How to Verify a Professional's License in Cincinnati?

Professionals in Cincinnati require professional licenses, which are administered by over 200 bureaus and other related commissions that serve as licensing authorities. Residents of the city must ensure that the professionals they engage to provide services have a valid license from one of these licensing authorities, as this goes a long way in guaranteeing the quality of the work that will be done. Residents of Cincinnati can verify the license of their potential hirees before engaging them for work by using the eLicense Ohio Professional Licensure System.

In addition to licensing, the Permit Center in Cincinnati offers a single location for developers, homeowners, construction workers, and architects who need permits for their construction or home improvement work to secure one. Projects that require permits include new buildings, remodeling and repair, electrical work, and plumbing work. The Permit Center combines the services of the Metropolitan Sewer District, Buildings and Inspections, Greater Cincinnati Water Works, Cincinnati Fire Department, and Department of Transportation. This combination allows the center to provide a simplified process for permits in every phase of the construction process. You can contact the Permit Center's customer service by calling (513) 352-3271 for information on permits, plans examination, and building construction inspections.

Ohio Contractor License Search:

Do Cincinnati Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are about 50 neighborhood community councils in Cincinnati. These councils help to provide a forum to address neighborhood issues and events, represent and promote the neighborhoods, and provide direction, leadership, and support to enhance their viability. You can utilize the Community Council information form to locate the community council for your area of residence and also view its contact details as well as its meeting times and locations. While these neighborhood community councils review requests for liquor licenses, changes in zoning, and other matters submitted to them, they do not issue permits.

In August 2020, it was reported that the leaders of the Westwood neighborhood were keeping tabs on a 22-acre property in support of the community's plans of purchasing it for use as a park. Similarly, in May 2021, it was reported that community leaders in the West End neighborhood were working towards purchasing properties in the area to control the market rates and help in creating affordable housing.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Cincinnati?

The Consumer Protection Section of the Office of the Ohio Attorney General enforces laws that prohibit deceptive and unfair business practices such as inferior workmanship and failure to deliver goods or perform services. Residents of Cincinnati can file business-related complaints with this agency by calling its Cincinnati Regional Office via phone number (513) 852-3497. Complaints can also be filed online or complainants can choose to download a consumer complaint form, complete it, and mail it to:

  • Consumer Protection Section
  • Office of the Ohio Attorney General
  • 441 Vine Street
  • Cincinnati, OH 45202

The Consumer Protection Section protects residents of Cincinnati from illegal business practices by conducting investigations on complaints to secure a settlement or penalties and restitution for them. When complaints are made, the Consumer Protection Section initially tries to resolve them through an informal dispute resolution process between the parties involved, and a specialist is tasked to do this. Note that some disputes may require a referral to another agency for additional investigation and resolution. If you are not satisfied with the resolution between you and the business in question, you can decide to take a legal route in addressing the complaints. An option available to those who chose the legal option is the small claims court. Small claims courts in Ohio have jurisdiction over civil cases between parties when the contested value of property or amount of money does not exceed $6,000. You can file a complaint at the Small Claims Division of the Hamilton County Municipal Court at:

  • Hamilton County Courthouse
  • 1000 Main Street
  • Room 115
  • Cincinnati, OH 45202
  • Phone:(513) 946-5656

Professions in Cincinnati